MESSING WITH STRESS

Monday, October 15, 2012

People on Facebook have been posting up graduation pictures left and right, and it makes me anxious for my own graduation. I have about a year or so left until I can officially be classified as an unemployed bum, but what bothers me isn't the remaining time, but rather, a) the uselessness of the subjects I have left and b)how fast time is passing (which is for another entry altogether).

Said uselessness, of course, is relative. If I were to become the Multimedia Artist I'm studying to be, all would be fine and dandy, and I would be just like all my other classmates (read: motivated). The thing is, when I graduate, I don't want to become employed by some firm and start from the bottom of the career ladder, and go through all the dirty politics to be a creative director. That's not the Ultimate Goal. (I made it sound extremely unglamorous but that's just a part of me consoling myself that experience doesn't always have to teach you personally for you to get the lesson. And I just rambled there but I hope I got that point across haha) 

So if I don't want to be employed, what do I want to be when I graduate? *drum roll* An employer! *cue the silent audience, upon realization that this person is too idealistic for her own good* 

Haha no but really, I want to start up a business and run it with my sisters. I get to work on my own time, be the boss of myself, experience what it's truly like to care about your job and love it and hate the undue stress but still work your butt off because it's what you want to do. Running a business is so different from being employed somewhere because you genuinely care about where your brand is going. You're emotionally (and financially) invested and there is really a direct correspondence between the effort you put in and the gains that come your way. The more work you sow, the more rewards you reap. If you don't work a whole week, you get nothing. Unless of course, you're a big, established brand and all you do is sit on your laurels and watch your money pour in while you pick at your split ends and watch re-runs of Sex and the City all day long. That's the Ultimate Goal, by the way, in case you're wondering. (retire early and live a comfortable life haha)

Putting it side by side with being employed at a 9 to 5 job, where you work so hard (or so little), only to get a fixed salary a month, and to slowly climb the corporate ladder to have a nice, big, office with an amazing view of the city. And by the time you sit your exhausted butt on that expensive, leather chair behind that glass and mahogany desk, how old will you be? 45 years old? Suddenly, your whole life passed you by. And all your work benefited the smart guy who started that company. (which could possibly be me. Ha! Ha! I kid.)

Funny thing is, I used to picture myself living exactly like that: Getting up in the morning, going to the gym, grab a bite and some coffee, drive myself to work, finish meetings by lunch, go out for lunch with officemates, do more work, and go home to my oh-so-swanky and lavish apartment/penthouse/loft and fix myself a nice dinner. (oh god, just writing that made me jealous of that life) but then I realized, that life can't exist on the basic salary of a fresh grad. My attention span is far too short for a desk job, and the thought of doing that same thing every single day for many years frightens me. (oh, the mundane! oh, the routine!) 

So what am I doing studying art if I want to be in business? Simple. When I start my own business, I automatically become the creative director. Win win situation. :D (All the technical, accounting stuff will go to my two very technical sisters)

Everything considered, with my relentless need to always question the whys of things, school has been frustrating, to say the least. Because the subjects I'm taking up right now serve no purpose to the Ultimate Goal, and I feel like I'm wasting precious time and money. Don't get me wrong, I love my course, but there are some subjects I just want to skip and call it over and done with. :D Is there no way to not take up some teensy weensy subjects and still graduate (with honors)? 

Oh, what's that? I'm getting a signal. Apparently, it's NOT possible to graduate unless you finish all your subjects. And take all the recollections. (which reminds me, I have yet to take Reco 2, ugh) And all the religion subjects. And NSTP. (I am so, so, so very over you, NSTP. And we are never, ever ever, getting back together). 

Oh, life. I wish you didn't play so hard to get. If only you were easy, and if only we could take things slow. (in relation to my being so alarmed at the speed of life) Gah. Time to sleep! It's homework day tomorrow. Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment