ON SMOKING

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A few days ago, a friend of mine was showing me his Zippo lighter and was bragging about all the tricks he could do with it, and how he could do smoke rings more than anyone else could. A few hours later, I found myself seated beside a classmate of mine who was all giddy with happiness, because she apparently bagged a good deal on a pack of smokes. She showed me the pack of cigarettes, and she was beaming with excitement because they were strawberry flavored. She was literally like a kid on Christmas Eve, excitedly shoving the pack of cancer sticks up my nose, requesting -more like forcing- me to smell it.

... and it put me off. Not because they smoke, but because of how proud they were of it.  Beaming with it, even.

I don't really mind if someone smokes or not; Just please don't dangle it in front of my face or exhale a puff in my direction intentionally. It's a little disconcerting, for someone to offer me a cigarette and even when I politely decline, they still have the cojones to ask me if I want to try one, anyway. To their defense, some will say that they're just trying to be respectful, that maybe, just maybe, I might be dying to try one. A little advice? Show a little respect by respecting my answer. Which is, and forever will be, a no. Truth be told, asking me if I want to try a cigarette even when I already said not only reflects how the person is trying to be a bad influence (Yes, smoking IS bad, no matter how you look at it) but it also reflects how little respect they have for others. I respect that you want to smoke, please respect my not wanting to.


Again, I don't hate smokers. When I see one, I don't throw a fit or go off on how cigarettes are bad for their health, etc. etc. Respect is key, and that applies to both the smoker and the non-smoker. Keep the personal space, don't blow that smoke ring in my face, don't brag to me about how "cool" it is that you have a Zippo or strawberry flavored cigs, don't offer me one even when I've already refused. Please lang, a little respect.

Perhaps it's because my mother's a smoker.. or maybe I don't like cigarettes because it's what took my grandfather's life.. all I know is, smoking is the one thing where 'never say never' doesn't apply to me. I often joke that I should tell my future kids "I used to smoke when I was younger", just so they won't try it themselves HAHA. (my attempt at ending this rant on a positive note)

No comments:

Post a Comment