Summer till September

Thursday, May 27, 2010

I have the most unorthodox college life. 

When I was in 3rd year high school, all my friends took up review classes in the summer before senior year. They enrolled in Ahead, in our High School and different tutorial places, so that they'd be more confident in taking the tests for the University/College of their choice. I took the road less traveled, and I didn't take review classes. A lot of my older friends kept telling me that they were useless, that some people were too distracted by the co-edness of it all, that nobody really took it seriously. I figured that if that were the case, I'd be throwing away 10k for a few weeks of studying that I could do at home, so I didn't enroll for review classes. Instead, I studied at home and reviewed old notes and reviewers. 




The next unorthodox thing was that while (almost) everybody took the entrance exams for the "Ivy Leagues," (UP, ADMU, DLSU, UST) I only had my sights set on one school: DLSU. It was all or nothing; if I didn't pass the DLSU exam, then I wouldn't have a college to go to. After taking the (extremely difficult) entrance test,  I was worried that I wouldn't pass, (in spite of all my friends' assurances that I would) and so I applied for CSB as my fall back. For months, I waited with anticipation... I passed! I was so ecstatic, I got in the course of my choice, and I was lucky enough to be one of the top applicants. I was ready to take on my future. 


May 2009. I enrolled in DLSU and had one of the most whirlwind experiences of my life. First term, first year college was jampacked with challenges, and moments with amazing friends that I'll never forget. I was even a Dean's Lister, to my parents' delight. September came, and one day changed everything.


Next thing I knew, I was going from office to office, building to building, asking each department to give me my clearance. I was un-enrolling, and I was going to transfer to Assumption College. So for 2nd semester (it started in November) I was back in my alma mater, back to wearing a uniform and back in an all-girls school. Assumption was good and dandy, it was much more chill and relaxed than DLSU. Transportation was easier, dressing up for school was easier (I could look like crap, since there weren't boys, anyway) the workload was lighter. Life was generally easier, but isn't college supposed to be a challenge? Isn't it supposed to push us to our maximum potential? 


And now, after much deliberation, I have decided to apply to CSB Multimedia Arts. I know that I've wasted time and money, but college is so much more than straight As and easy homework. It's supposed to be a holistic experience, and I feel that CSB can give me that. I'll be a freshman again, I think, if ever I pass the entrance test again. Everyone in my batch will be in 2nd year by then, and transportation will be difficult to plan... but hey, it's a trade-off, and a risk I have to take. So here's to the most unorthodox college life.

No comments:

Post a Comment