JOYRIDE

Friday, August 19, 2011

This past week has been extremely stressful. I'm really beginning to dread finals week in school, because it comes up like a snake and bites you from behind. Why? Because the rest of the term is so relaxed and chill, but come finals it all just comes pouring down. Anyway, on the way to school yesterday, I was really anxious because my first subject was PE, where we were going to have our final hip hop dance performance. My group worked hard on it, we practiced during a non-class hour and a half, and put in the sweat and effort. I was extra anxious because I was the one who did the dance mix and choreo, and for some reason, the dance mix didn't sync right with my iPod. To add to that, before leaving the house, I couldn't find my school ID and spent a good 20 minutes trying to look for it. Which of course, meant that by the time I left the house, traffic was bad.

And just when I thought I was off to a bad start in the morning, I saw a family on a sidewalk near CCP. They were about 10 all in all: 2 grandparents, a mother, a father, and kids. What struck me the most was that they were all praying. Eyes shut, palms together, huddled in a circle - in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the morning rush hour. The sight was really beautiful, but at the same time, heartbreaking. Here I was, cursing at life, my iPod and school ID, in the comforts of my airconditioned car, on my way to a good college. While there they were, misplaced in the sea of honking cars and city smoke, brows furrowed in deep prayer. It put things into perspective.

So if ever anyone is reading this, I just wanted to let you know that if ever you feel you're having a bad day, all you need to do is look around you.. because someone, out there, has much bigger problems on his or her plate. Funny, how complete strangers have taught me so much about counting my blessings, without ever having to speak to me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment