On 2010

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Another year has come and gone and I can only muster up a "what the heck" when I think of how extremely fast time has gone by in the last 12 months. Contemplating 2010 is mind boggling, true - because with the year came many ups and downs. I've had to come to terms with many things, and came to different crossroads that led to different paths. The past year changed me, and I'd like to think it was for the better. :) 


2010 was a year of relationships. Before any assumptions are made, I'd like to make it clear that I don't mean relationships in the romantic kind. My 6-month sabbatical from school brought me so much closer to my mom. We were never archenemies or constantly at each other throats or anything, it was never like that at all. It's just that last year forged a deeper, closer bond with her than I could ever imagine. I mean, I look forward to coming home and dread non-half days because I'm always itching to come home. I know it sounds so lame and so "uncool" but.. I've become extremely family oriented, more than I was before (now THAT'S saying something). Also, I've made plenty of new friends in Benilde and they're the main reasons why school is enjoyable (no art related subjects yet, so classes are a bore).

2010 was a year for myself. As selfish as it sounds, last year was a year for searching for who I was, what I wanted to do, who I aspired to be. I had to do a lot of self-reflecting and discerning regarding my dreams and ambitions.. and I am much more focused on what I want, more than ever. The 6 months away from school, by default, allowed me to do things for myself that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to accomplish if it weren't for the free time. I was always doing something - planning business plans (oh, redundancy!), painting my room, remodeling my room, building my graphic design portfolio, thinking, thinking and more thinking. (I wish I could 'working out' to this, but no, that'd be me lying haha)

Lastly, 2010 was a year of change. I transferred schools again (I probably hold the record of most colleges attended in my batch, haha!) and shifted from an Advertising & Communications major to Multimedia Arts... and have never been more content. I am beyond happy with where I am now and can't imagine myself anywhere else. Also, I don't even know where to begin describing how different I am now, in comparison to my high school self. Many aspects of me are still the same - my being happy-go-lucky, laid-back, talkative (too talkative, to be honest), etc etc, but my priorities have changed. No longer do I say Yes to every uto uto moment opportunity to be part of some committee, because I feel that I should only say Yes if it'll help me grow as a person, student or artist. Selfish? Maybe. Effective in significantly reducing the undue stress in my life? Definitely. I've come to realize that there are more important things in life than a qualification in a resume', and I'm glad I realized it this early on. :) 

Sometimes, I think about how much time and money I've wasted transferring schools and whatnot, and bang my head on the wall even more when I think about how in fourth year, I passed the entrance test for the school and course I'm in now. But then I get to thinking, that maybe it was all meant to be, that it was all part of the plan. Maybe I was meant to get mugged that day in Taft, so that I'd become more wary and less trusting of the people around me. Maybe I was meant to go to AC, to realize that I can't judge a book by its cover, and that there's so much more than what meets the eye (hello, cliches!). Maybe I was meant to be unhappy with the point of my Advertising class, to realize that not everything in the world is about money-making and manipulation. (Although Advertising can still be inspirational, when used properly) Maybe I was meant to miss the entrance test for the first term, so that my 90 days of summer would be spent becoming even closer to my family, and reassessing my dreams and priorities. 


2009 wasn't a good year, and yet, 2010 was. Life sure has a funny way of turning out the way it does, don't you think? :) 2011, I have high hopes and expectations from you.. and all I can say is, World, please don't end in 2012! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment